Sunday, July 12, 2015

Back in the Saddle Again

I haven't been blogging much and truthfully, it's because I haven't been running that much. Between work, moving, and trying to get settled, a running routine has been hard to come by. And when you are out of shape and struggling to finish a run without puking, you really don't want to tell the world about it. But, sometimes, the stars align and you get something fantastic out of your run.

Today was one of those days.

I set out with 8 miles as my goal, fairly certain that I wouldn't make it that far (since I haven't run more than 5 miles in over a month. I switched things up and ran my "long" route backwards and opted for a 60's and 70's hits Pandora station in place of my standard playlist, thinking I could trick myself on the distance. At one point I was so hot that I thought I was in Dallas, but then I remembered it was only 65 degrees and that I've become spoiled. That quick dose of reality brought me back from the brink of quitting-at about 3 miles in. And for continuing on, I was rewarded with a grown-ass bald man driving down the middle of the street in a pink Barbie Cadillac, with his young son trailing behind in his jeep.

Yep, in place of those two girls was a grown man having the time of his life. I thought for a moment about asking for a ride, but I knew that thing could not hold the weight of both of us. The Barbie car brought a smile to my face and made me laugh out loud. 

I went on to finish my run at the track and ended up with a runner's high. I managed to surpass my goal of 8 miles and it left me wanting more. I'm already feeling stiff and sore, so I scheduled a massage for tomorrow evening!


Miles logged: 9.15

No comments:

Post a Comment